Monday, April 11, 2011

My First Blog Post.

The first prompt of the quarter, and where to start?...

I've never even thought of maintaining a blog before, much less thought about what I could possibly write that would be worth taking up space on a server somewhere and worthy of people's attention. I think everyone knows someone (or at least has stumbled across the blog of someone) who uses these public diaries as vehicles of self-importance and inflated egos, creating, at best, rambling posts which no one wants to read, and at worst something that incites outrage and controversy.

So, now that "blogging" is a requirement for academic success, does that give me a right to add my voice to the mix of millions? Is it simply an excuse to publicly display my own self-importance? How much influence will my little corner of the internet have, anyway? I don't know, but I'm about to find out!

Well, without further ado, here goes!

Who Am I?
My name is Claire, and I'm from Cleveland, Ohio. I'm 19 years old and believe that is young enough to justify the fact that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life! I'm not worried about this, though, because I'm a strong supporter of following one's intuition, and feel that trusting my instinct has led me to some of the best experiences and opportunities in my life (attending Ohio State and joining AOII just to name two!)
I am nothing without my family and friends, and feel that every person I've known has in some way contributed to who I am today, making those closest to me a very real part of who I am. That being said, I'm a very private person, and while there's nothing wrong with circumspection, I can come off rather shy and reserved until you get to know me! This is something I'm trying to change about myself (I can't wait until I can speak in front of a class without my hands shaking!) and signing up for this class has been a step in that direction.
I played flute for 11 years, put in countless hours and effort, and is what defined me throughout high school (I was a huge band nerd!) I haven't played since fall, and while the hiatus is nice, I'd like to pick it up again! I suppose, though, I'm just looking for something new to define me!
I value kindness, patience, and reason above all else, and strive for those values every day.
To close, I might as well list some of the more basic stuff! I'm 5'2", blonde haired (dyed!), and blue eyed; my favorite color is turquoise, favorite food is sushi; I'm an International Business major, and adore traveling and exploring other countries and cultures! My favorite place on campus is Mirror Lake, and my favorite thing to do is anything I haven't done before. :)


Why Am I An AOII?
Before I set foot on campus, I knew I wanted to go Greek. It was just one of those things you know, without needing any real understanding of your conviction. Obviously, all of the typical reasons resonated with me- the sisterhood, the opportunities afforded socially, scholastically, and professionally, etc., but as recruitment approached, I found myself repeating one thing- if I could go into this, and put myself on display for 14 groups of girls (something very intimidating!) then I could do anything, and would be a huge step towards overcoming my shyness.
The first day was a whirlwind (smiling constantly, thinking of the right things to say, trying to keep all 14 sororities straight), but at the end of the day, when I filled out my preference card, I remembered AOII and the girls I talked to- I remembered what seemed to me like a real connection. This connection only deepened throughout the next two weekends, and when Bid Day came, I knew that I could see myself as an AOII, and hoped beyond hope that they could see me as one of them as well!
Well, obviously my wish came true, and I am so proud to call myself a panda! Each of my sisters respects and accepts me for who I am, and I, them. Only after a few months of sisterhood, I couldn't imagine my life without the bond I share with each AOII. We push each other to strive for our very best, and I believe this reflects in each facet of my life. My sisters love me for who I am, and challenge me to be the best I can be!


How Do I Feel About the Blogabus?
I'll be candid- I'm a bit daunted! In many classes, the syllabus sets ridged guidelines, due dates, etc. with the most freedom given being a paper with a set prompt. The Blogabus, to say the least, is a bit more "free range!" I feel that, although I don't know what to expect, it will facilitate an ever-changing experience that will grow with each assignment, post and class. I have no expectations- I'm simply waiting to be pleasantly surprised, and pleasantly surprise myself! :)

1 comment:

  1. Claire,
    I feel like we are a lot alike! Family and friends are also very important to me and I am always shy around people I don't know well or situations I'm unsure of. I think we have many of the same values, and I'm also a business major! (Marketing though) Oh and I love to travel and experience new cultures! :)
    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete