Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Hi, Can I Ask You Three Quick Questions??"

I have to admit, I was surprised. Every person I interviewed had a deliberate and pretty prompt answer to the three questions I posed. Of course, to what extent these answers were genuine and interviewees were cognizant of their meaning is open to debate.

The largest hint to the sincerity of a response was the inflection with which it was given. Some of those I talked to gave answers with such emotion behind them that I couldn't doubt that they truly believed in what they were saying. Others sounded as if they were reading from a piece of paper.

The question which gave the interviewees most pause was when asked what three activities their chapter spent the most time on. The other questions, concerning values and Ritual, could be seen to have clear, "textbook" answers, imbedded in the minds of chapter members during the new member process and continuously refreshed. Activities, though?? Well, socials could easily rank in the top three by any chapter's standards But is this a "kosher" response...?

I believe that there is a disconnect between each chapter's values and Ritual and actual practices. To a certain extent, there has to be. Our organizations were founded in a different time and members found themselves in different situation than today's. How can we adapt such profound ideals that our founders so fervently believed in to today's world? There has to be balance. Between holding ourselves to the higher standards set by those who came before us and leading a fulfilling, social life, there exists a tentative middle ground that I truly believe is attainable.

The real question, that we all need to ask ourselves, is how do we reach this middle ground? Do I have an answer...? Not yet, but I know what I'll be sleeping on tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment