Monday, May 16, 2011

"My Fellow Americans..."

When thinking about the term, "citizenship," an image of Americans lining up to buy war bonds pops into my head. Propaganda posters and immigrants, American flags and voting booths.  However, citizenship extends far beyond that of our country.  Rather, we have the opportunity to be "citizens" of our community, university, Greek organization or dorm floor.  We are certainly "denizens" of these institutions and places, but it takes a concerted effort to become a citizen.

As a member of AOII, I try to go out of my way to be engaged in all areas of Greek life.  For an example, as opportunities arise to represent AOII, either through philanthropy, a Panhellenic event, or even volunteer to go on a dinner swap, I try to do all I am able, knowing that my comportment will reflect the entire chapter.  For example, just yesterday I attended a dinner swap, signed up to work a philanthropy event, and volunteered to represent AOII at a function.  And sure, I put my all into everything I do.  "I signed up for this," right? But citizenship isn't just these voluntary "extras." I can look back on everything I've voluntarily done as deeds well done, but what about daily sorority life?? I know that I have a terrible tendency to be late. When I know that what I'm doing will reflect upon others, I'll be on time, but when it's "just chapter"...? Expect to see me walk through the door 10-15 minutes behind schedule.  While representing one's chapter to the best of one's ability is very important, I feel that representing oneself within one's chapter is the second, just-as-important, half of citizenship that sometimes gets forgotten. I know that I could focus a bit more on it! I've been working on being more punctual, and trying to be more engaged with the daily workings of AOII, because if that foundation isn't there, how can I represent my sorority...?

One thing that I know I and all my fellow AOII's pride ourselves on is our presence in the community. We try our utmost to be as involved in our fellow chapters' philanthropies as possible. Whether it be sending a team of girls to a fundraiser or simply stopping by a booth to buy raffle tickets, we as AOIIs value commitment to the community. When chapters support each other through philanthropy and even connect through social events, I believe citizenship is displayed. However, when a chapter is disparaged or neglected, the bonds of citizenship break down.  I believe that in order for Greek life to stay relevant and functional, supposed "stereotypes" of chapters must be completely abolished.  We must learn to reach across boundaries and embrace our neighbors, regardless of preconceived notions we may have about chapters.  I think that this stumbling block to citizenship is perhaps the greatest facing the Greek community. As long as sites like GreekRank and stereotyping and bad-mouthing other chapters continues to exist, we undo all of our accomplishments, leading us to hurt our collective citizenship within the college community.

When Greeks participate in events such as Rock the Block, host philanthropies that connect to the college community, and give back to the campus, we display our citizenship within the Buckeye world. However, when we're seen mocking "GDIs" or stumbling down the street after a TG, we broadcast just the opposite.  I do believe that it's easier for those who do not understand Greek life to focus on the negative aspects, but that only means that we must try harder as a community to maintain and develop a positive image in order to ensure the continued presence and privilege that we enjoy today.

The issues plaguing Greek life are numerous. However, I believe that there is no one problem that cannot be overcome with the commitment of all Greeks to a positive citizenship, both of each individual, chapter, and the community as a whole.

1 comment:

  1. i really like what you had to say here. i admire your willingness to do what it takes! it seems a lot (maybe even most) aren't trying nearly as hard... more of you is what we need!

    ReplyDelete